Sunday, July 13, 2014

We Get Sick. (Sort of.)

Our site team conference is over (obviously) but it didn't finish without a trip to the hospital and some official document signing. 

We got there and did a warm-up activity that no one understood.. It's a little difficult to play games when you have people speaking 3 different languages, shockingly enough! The mayor wasn't there, so I figured he must have some more important mayor business to attend to and I worked with the people we are near/drove to the conference the day before. The partner got a phone call and said, oh it's the mayor! She spoke to him and asked if I needed him to come (um, kind of! It's only the partner conference and my partner isn't there, so..) but then said some more stuff, hung up, and told me, so he's feeling sick and thinks he should go to the hospital, so I told him to do that. 


Apparently he had had some sort of heart problem/surgery/attack in the past (recent past? I don't know) and felt bad so he thought he should get it checked out. 

We had a presentation that was much more beneficial to the partners and then he showed up during the coffee break! I don't know what happened exactly because he only said it in Romanian, but I think it had something to do with the heat. He insisted he was fine, and made it in time to work on a 3-month plan and sign our collaboration agreement. He grabbed his folio thing after signing and I thought, okay he's leaving again, that's fine (the signing was the last item of business) - but he wasn't leaving. He was getting out his official mayor's stamp so he could stamp our document! UM, how cute. He thought it was pretty clever of him, I think. 

Afterwards the partners left and some of us went to get iced coffee (arguably the best part of Chisinau.. I've started sneaking water bottles into the freezer so I can have cold water. They still tell me it's going to make me sick but I tell them I don't care.) and then we ventured to the Peace Corps office to get some people's packages and to hang out. 

Speaking of getting sick, then the next day I thought I was. Actually I was pretty convinced that I was having a heart attack, so that was slightly stressful. Yes, I Googled heart attack symptoms for women, and I thought I had at least 3 or 4 of them, so I called the doctor and she just told me to take ibuprofen and Benadryl and call her the next day. Didn't say what it might be, didn't give me any reassurance that I was not dying (except for maybe the fact that she didn't rush an ambulance to me either). The next day it was the same, so I called her back halfway through language and she told me to keep doing that and said that she didn't think it was anything to worry about. My fellow PCTs told me it was probably some sort of stress reaction/anxiety attack. 

After language 5 of the girls went to Naomi's house to play Phase 10, gossip about discuss all the other PCTs, eat peanut butter and honey, and just hang out! It was the greatest afternoon/evening, and then we all got caught in a rainstorm that lasted all night and was wonderful. 

The next morning I woke up able to breathe again, so I can confirm that I'm not dying and I'm not having a heart attack. So don't worry! It probably really was stress/anxiety, because guess what - this isn't my normal life. Or anyone's. It's kind of hard, kind of often. I'm sure it will get easier, but it is a little stressful at the moment, so. I'll work on destressing, not distressing (Did I just invent one of those words? Probably). 

No comments:

Post a Comment